Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Time spent at the Apple genius bar

Having recently spent quite a bit of time waiting at the Apple Genius Bar, I was impressed with the fact that I was actually able to get service on December 31st and January 2nd. Of course, it would have been nicer if my computer hadn't crapped out, and that the first genius had just sent the computer off to get repaired rather having me take it back home with the advice, keep an eye on it... Like all tech problems, the first time I took it in, they plugged the computer in and everything worked I remeber when you'd be lucky and have to pay through the nose to get tech service on the weekend.

When I read posts like Seth's and the type of stupid ass responses it generated, I get annoyed. Yes, they posted a while ago, but the gratuitous sense of entitlement that people imagine they "deserve" just because they drop a couple of grand, still annoys me to no end. And they don't let people comment on their blogs, so I decided to type something up on my blog.

Sure... Apple could segment out it's customers and give priority service to the person with the powermac rather than the ipod.... but doesn't part of Apple's long term growth plan include converting some of those $300 customers into $6,000 customers? (I myself have purchased three macs this past year - so pbbbt to those wanna play the sour grapes card).

I think it's a great idea that every customer can have enough time with someone who can address their concerns - whether it's with a fried logic board or busted iPod. Plus, since Seth's post, it seems like they have iPod geniuses and mac hardware geniuses... which solves the problem without having to resort to pre-paid mailing envelopes.

It seems like rather than segmenting customers, Apple should just increase resources to be able to deal with everyone's needs. Which is a less whiny, less entitled, more idealist, restatement of Seth's concluding point. I think we've got to keep in mind that Seth's second less than positive experience involves trying to get something fixed on a Saturday night - Saturday night - c'mon - which other company isn't going to charge you time and a half to even _speak_ with a tech? Give the customers an inch and they'll scoff at not being given a mile.

That said, the Genius Bar really needs a better way to deal with running late when people have already made reservations on-line. Waiting an hour and a half after my appointment slot was not fun. I'm a bit dissapointed that Apple has introduced ProCare - so that people can pay for better service, rather than just providing that type of service to everyone off the bat...

1 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Oy. The Genius Bar can be quite frustrating. At my Apple Store, despite the on-line queue and all, priority boils down to the customer who doesn't mind grabbing an employee and making him help. The worst part is picking up a repair -- supposedly, you are to grab a genius and tell him your name. But they're of course always busy. And if you grab another store employee, you'll get a range of responses, from the utterly unhelpful (I can't help you) to the wrong (you have to put your name on the queue) to the stupid (get in line like everyone else). Usually I just end up sitting at the Genius Bar counter looking sad, staring at a busy genius, until I can catch his eye.

It's really all about setting up a more transparent system for helping people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home