Wednesday, March 24, 2004

F*cking in West Virginia...

Ain't no loving like west virginia lovin'It's all relative in West Virginia
Though I have been know to wear this shirt, I tend to not wear logo or message shirts. These two shirts were brought to my attention through different channels, but they both play on a (presumably) urban audience's reaction to the rural (south). The texts of the shirts are: There's no lovin' like West Virginia lovin' and It's all relative in West Virginia. Of course the former is less inflammatory than the latter, but I never quite understood the concept of the store bought vintage tee (a la Abercrombie and Fitch). Created and commodified irony just isn't as ironic as discovered irony to me I guess. This warrented an article in the NYTimes, whereas an earlier set of controversial shirts didn't get coverage in the NYTimes (despite getting national coverage in other venues). The Governer Bob Wise of West Virginia has gotten into the fray calling for A&F to stop selling the shirts saying that the shirt depicts "an unfounded, negative stereotype of West Virginia." [ed. links added 3/24/04]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home