Sunday, January 30, 2005

Mac Mini

My computer died last week. Luckily, I was able to recover most of my data. But, as it turns out, my 12" laptop is having harddisk issues and not fan issues - bad sectors and whatnot. Booting up on a Mac Repair Disk - I am in the process of trying to avoid having to replace my HD and fix it instead with a hardware solution (like drive10). The repair scan is still running, but hopefully, next week, I'll have both a laptop and a desktop.... a desktop?

Being the impatient computer addict that I am, I went and got a mac mini and a cinema display the day my computer broke. Each of the three repair places I called told me that it would take a minimun of 8 business days before they would be able to have my computer fixed. Plus, the computer being a year and a half old, is out of warantee. Why did I not get Apple Care? I had been wanting a desktop computer for a while - and I took the opportunity that the computer crash afforded me. I'm liking the new setup, though at some point, I will have to install airport extreme and more memory. But as a word processing unit that I'll be needing to work on papers for school this semester, the mini is plenty fast and the display is easy on my eyes.

Macworld ran a review comparing the mini to an inexpensive dell computer - it is in three parts (1, 2, 3). They also took a mac mini apart so that you can see the mini's insides.

1 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home