Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Word of the Day

lookism: is discrimination or prejudice against people based on their appearance. According to
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language. ABC news goes "undercover" to discover - surprise - beautiful people get more help, are generally cut more slack, and perceive to have a whole host of positive attributes. Well duh, that's like sending black or Korean people to go and rent housing to see if they are treated differently due to their race (a job I almost got, but had to pass up because I had already accepted a position at another organization). It is chocked up to "unconscious preference" - but I'm pretty sure it's active preference for most people.

What do I do to combat "lookism" on a very local and not very effective manner? I will occasionally go to hotornot.com and mark as not hot the people I know other will mark as hot - you know the ones... and don't even get me started on the guys in their military fatigue - "yeah, invasion and occupation is so hot, not."

OK - going to go on the record as saying that - insomnia - not fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home